Alfred Clough was born on the 1st June 1884 and baptised at Holy Trinity, Bradford on the 3rd of July 1884, the son of James Clough and Clara Emily Clough formerly Metcalfe who lived at 31 William Square. By 1891 the family were living at 9 Charnwood Road, Eccleshill, and James and Clara had four children, Lily, Alfred, Arthur and Harry born in 1890 but died in 1893. James was working as a stationary engine tenter.In 1901 James and Clara with their three surviving children were at 395 Harewood Street and James was now working as a Coal Agent. Alfred at 16 years of age was a brass finisher.On the 2nd of October 1909 Alfred married Clara Heptinstall at St
Clement, Bradford. Alfred was 25 years of age. Clara was 19 years of age, a wool drawer living at 2 Mulberry Street and the daughter of Thomas Heptinstall, compositor.Their daughter Gladys May was born on the 13th January 1910 and baptised at St Clement, Bradford on the 17th February 1910. Alfred and Clara were still living with his parents at 395 Harewood Street.By 1911 the family had moved to 3 Oakwood Avenue, Bolton Woods and Alfred was now employed as an Insurance Agent. Alfred had previous served in the British Army having enlisted in 1903 so when War was declared on
the 4th of August 1914 he was immediately recalled into the 2nd Battalion of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry as Private 8355. The Battalion landed at Le Havre on the 16th August 1914 and saw action at the Battle of Le Cateau later that month where they took 600 casualties. Alfred survived this action but his Battalion was involved in the Winter Operations which took place between the 23rd November 1914 and the 2nd of February 1915 with disastrous piecemeal British attacks on the German front line and these localised operations continued throughout the winter. Alfred was injured and died of
wounds at No.8 Clearing Station, Bailleul on the 9th January 1915. He was 31 years of age.Alfred is buried in the Bailleul Communal Cemetery in France near the Belgium border. Bailleul had been occupied by the British on the 14th of October 1914 and early commonwealth burials were made in the local village graveyard to be later known as a communal cemetery.His effects were left to his widow Mrs Clara Clough who received £6.9.0d on the 3rd of April 1915 and the War Gratuity of £5.0.0d on the 18th of August 1919.Researched and written by Jean Britteon, to whom many thanks.