Friday 28 July 1916
Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Home Page Home Page Home Page Read more about 28 July 1916 Read more about 28 July 1916 Read more about 28 July 1916
Mr J W Overend, secretary of the Eccleshill CC has received a letter from the front informing him of the death of Denton Rogers, the club’s rising young left-handed bowler. He was in the Great Advance with Major Booth, the Yorkshire County cricketer and they fell not far from each other. Local cricketers will regret the death of so able a young cricketer as Rogers. At the usual weekly meeting of the committee, a vote of condolence was passed with the relatives of the player mentioned.
Great Advance claims promising cricketer
While most of the focus was on the fighting on the Somme, other men were serving and dying in other parts of the world. For two local men, death came not from a bullet or shell but from long hours toiling under a baking sun. Mrs Barraclough of 32 Tong Park, Baildon, widow of Pte Fred W Barraclough (right), who died of sunstroke at Salonica, received the following letter from the Rev J H Darby, on board H.M. Hospital Ship Valdivia: “Before you get this letter you will no doubt have received from the War Office the sad news of the death of your husband. “He was brought on board the Valdivia at Salonica and was very ill from heat stroke. Notwithstanding every attention from the doctor and inspiring sister, he grew weaker and passed away on 7th July. “I am the Church of England chaplain
and I was with him just before the end. He was quite conscious and spoke of you. “I took the body ashore and the funeral – a military funeral – took place in the British Army Cemetery at Salonica. The site of his grave is 206. “Every respect was paid; we were met by the guard and firing party and after the funeral service the buglers sounded the Last Post.
“I am very sorry to be writing such sad news for you. Everything was done but he was too weak to rally. “I thought you would like to hear from me about him and I felt I must write and let you know that we all sympathise very deeply with you in your great bereavement. Emigrated “At least you have the consolation that he died for his country, doing his duty.” A similar fate awaited Pte Fred Harrison who had returned from Canada to fight for his country. Before emigrating Pte Harrison had lived in Harrogate Road, Greengates and had played cricket for the local side and also Thackley CC. He worked for G Garnett & Sons, Valley Mills, Apperley Bridge. He had only been in Canada about two years when war was declared and had been serving with the Worcester Regt in Mesopotamia when he died.
Two local men killed by toiling in the sun
Shipley Council Education Committee opened their meeting with a brief silence and tribute to Pte Howard Gott who had been killed in action. Pte Gott, who came from Morley where he was buried, had worked for the committee for six years as teacher of woodwork at Shipley Technical School. The committee, along with his fellow workers in the school, the students who had passed through his hands and the students who were now passing through the school, were unanimous in expressing regret at the sad occurrence. The committee later discussed what they should do about making any payment to Pte Gott’s family. ‘The committee had a certain responsibility in respect of those people whom they had employed and watched with interest their fates and fortunes in this terrible war. Individual merits ‘It was decided to do nothing for a month. Every single man who had left the employ of the Council or the Education Committee to join the army had done so without any promise having been made of any payment. ‘Every case was going to be considered on its individual merits at the end of the war. When in Morley for the funeral, Cllr Rhodes had made certain enquiries and had found that Pte Gott’s father was the school attendance officer and therefore it could be assured that his salary would be about £90 a year. ‘It was possible that five pounds now would be more useful than say £20 when the war was over. However it was decided to leave the matter over for further enquiries.’
Sympathy but no payment for family of dead teacher
Writing from India, Company Sgt Major Herbert Thorpe, of Eccleshill, who fought at Gallipoli with the East Lancashire Regt, says: “When we evacuated Gallipoli last December, we thought we should be having an easy time for a few weeks but were sent straight away to Mesopotamia. Garden of Eden “I can safely say we passed within a short distance of what is considered to be the former site of the Garden of Eden and have marched over a portion of the ground belonging to the infamous cities of Sodom and Gomorrah. “The Arabs we came across don’t seem to have altered much since Bible times and in our fighting for the relief of Kut we were against both Arabs and Turks. “We had a better chance of fighting for our lives than we had on the Penin- sula and I am proud to say that our work at Gallipoli has earned for our regiment the title of the The Iron 13th.”
Fighting hard in lands recalled from the Bible
Hugh Claughton (right) returned from fighting on the Somme on Friday night and took the field for Idle CC against Eccleshill the following day. He had just been awarded a commission and was on a month’s leave with his parents, Mr and Mrs Tom Claughton, at Guiseley, before embarking on a training course which was expected to see him return to France. Before the war, he had been a professional with Baildon Green CC and he was hoping he would be able to continue playing for Idle while in England. ‘Second-Lieutenant Claughton has been in France for the past 15 months
and has been in the thick of the war during that time, including the recent “big push.” In fact, he came straight home from the trenches. ‘He was wounded last August by the bursting of trench mortar and was in hospital for some three weeks but he is now none the worse for that. ‘Otherwise he has sustained not the slightest injury and, despite all that he has gone through, he is today in better health than he has been for a considerable time. ‘Before being granted a commission he held the rank of corporal and having specialised in bombing, his cricketing experience had naturally
been very useful to him. ‘Sec-Lieut Claughton enlisted in the 1-6th Duke of Wellington’s on September 1st 1914 and with that regiment he has been serving in France since April 14th last year. Brothers ‘We heartily congratulate Sec-Lieut Claughton on the well-deserved honour that has been accorded to him and also on his having escaped permanent injury during his fifteen months hard fighting on the Western Front. Sec-Lieut Claughton’s brother Harry has also been serving with the 1-6th Duke of Wellingtons since September 1st, 1914. Both are brother of the clever and popular Sid Claughton who has played with Idle for the last two seasons.
From battlefield to cricket pitch in 24 hours
Pte Frederick Jowett, who was with the 2nd Bradford Pals in France, wrote to his wife at 12 Moorside Road, Eccleshill. “In the battle we have been fighting, I have tried to do my best to help others and we have been at it night and day. Last night we had a parade when certificates of merit were given out to the lads who had done well and I am pleased to be able to tell you that I was one of he eight in our company to receive one. “The certificate of merit, which is signed by the Commanding Officer, reads as follows: ‘This private was one of the raiding party of June 30th, 1916. Being unwounded, he helped to bring back two of his comrades. On the night of July 1st he also did good work in holding on to a post in our front line under severe shell fire.’ “ Pte Jowett enlisted in March 1915 and became a bomb thrower. He is 24 years of age and was previously employed at S & H Illingworth, Quebec Street, Bradford.
Private’s brave contribution recognised
Mr S Hodgson, of Lidget Terrace, Clayton, received official notification on Friday last from the War Office that his son, Pte Alfred Hodgson had been killed in action. Pte Hodgson joined one of the Pals Battalions formed in Bradford. He was attached to the machine gun section. He was formerly connected with the Parish Church Sunday School and the news of his death will be much regretted by a large circuit of friends.
Machine gunner killed
Hero welcomed home
Cpl Harry Smith, who was wounded in the recent offensive, paid a visit to his home in Clayton last weekend and the neighbours decided to give him a surprise welcome. Bunting was hung across the street where he resides and a large company of villagers assembled. They had to wait half an hour beyond the expected time but they stuck patiently to the task and when he came in sight gave him a most hearty welcome.
This week Volunteer Force notes reveal there were some perks to membership ‘The weather conditions for last Sunday’s route march through Baildon and Burley Wood Head to Highfield were in startling contrast to those prevailing on the last occasion. Sunday was a perfect summer day and the stifling heat in the valley below Hawksworth enhanced the delight of the hill tops and moorland beyond. ‘Coming back the cool placid waters of Reva dam were too alluring to miss and a halt was called to allow an opportunity for bathing. ‘What could be so grateful to tired and heated limbs as a dip in the quiet, sequestered pond? Sequestered pond ‘Several of the men took advantage of the occasion and found it so pleasant and refreshing that there is now a proposal to organise swimming parades and classes. ‘The garden party and military sports of the 3rd, 4th and 5th battalions, to be held in Esholt tomorrow afternoon, commencing at 2.30, should attract a large number of the Shipley Company. ‘Unfortunately the bills and tickets intended for us went astray owing to the absence on holiday of the member to whom they were consigned, but the afternoon has been left open for this function it should introduce a pleasing variety to the usual run of Saturday operations. After the sports it is intended to give an exhibition of Battalion Drill to be followed by bayonet exercises.’ Trench digging Members of the Volunteer Force were mainly men who were either too old or too young to serve in the regular force or in some cases, had failed the medical. They were often mocked as Britain’s Last Hope. But to show that the members took their job of being ready to defend the country in case of an invasion, the notes continued: ‘The official returns of the work done by the London Regiments during the past six months in trench digging show in the case of the South London Regiment, with 1,360 men, that 19,349 days have been put in, an average of three days’ attendance per man, and that a total of 80,000 days’ work has been provided from all the regiments concerned.’
Volunteer Force take break from route march to cool off in the dam