Friday 7 April 1916
Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Home Page Home Page Home Page Read more about 7 April 1916 Read more about 7 April 1916 Read more about 7 April 1916
Sgt J Ingham (left), whose home is at John Street, Charlestown, Baildon has been recommended for the Distinguished Conduct Medal. He joined the 1/6th West Yorkshire Regiment in September 1914 and has been in France since April of last year. He was wounded in September 1915 and was confined to hospital for five weeks. At Christmas he was home on leave. His promotion to sergeant in November was obtained through meritorious service in the field and was very popular. In a letter home he refers to the fact that Sgt Ross, a Bradford man, and himself had been recommended for either the D.C.M or D.S.O and adds that it will shortly be officially announced. He also states that the Bradford V.C. Sgt Merkosha belonged to the same company.
D.C.M. award for Baildon hero
A Green Howards’ sergeant wrote to the family L Cpl Charles Long to tell them he had been shot in the head and killed instantly while the two men were talking on 15 March. L Cpl Long was 25 years old and was formerly employed by Francis Willey and Co as a wool sorter. He had enlisted in the middle of July 1915 and been at the Front since the beginning of October. Before the war, he attended the art classes at the Shipley Technical School and a picture of his was much admired at the most recent exhibition at the School. ‘L Cpl Long has been connected with St Margaret’s Church, Frizinghall, since childhood and was captain of the 2nd eleven cricket team. A memorial service was held on Sunday.’
Shot in the head while talking to his sergeant
Ambrose Bolton
George Bolton
Harold Bolton
Harry Bolton
Harry Bolton of 20th Lancashire Fusiliers was killed in action on 17th March 1916. He was brought into camp severely wounded but doctors were unable to save him and he died the same day. Pte Bolton was the son of Mr and Mrs Walter Bolton of Valley Street, Windhill and a member of the Windhill Primitive Methodist Church where a memorial service was held. ‘Mr Thos Luxton, who is the teacher of the Young Men’s Class of which Pte Bolton was a member, said in a short address that the whole object of religion was to make men of the highest type. To that type Pte Bolton belonged and although in years he was only 20 yet in the best sense of the word he had attained to full manhood. ‘After having been only five months in the army he had made the supreme sacrifice for his fellows. ‘Mr Luxton had never heard Pte Bolton say a wrong word or known him be guilty of a wrong action. The impression
he had always obtained from the deceased soldier, especially after watching him at his games, was that he was a trier.’ The service was attended by members of Shipley Volunteer Corps and the Boys’ Brigade, one of whom sounded the Last Post. Brothers On the same day that it carried a report of the memorial service, the Shipley Times & Express also included a small picture feature covering Mr and Mrs Bolton’s other sons. ‘The eldest son, Ambler Bolton, is on HMS Reliance and has been at the Dardanelles and was in the Suvia Bay battles. ‘Pte George E Bolton, 1/6 West Yorkshire Regt is a bomber now in France. ‘Another brother, too young for the services, is a scout in the 1st Baildon Scouts, named Harold Bolton.’
Memorial service for 20-year-old ‘trier’
DEATHS DEAN - Of 28 Hope View, Carr Lane, Windhill, on the 4th inst. (victim of air raid on the North- East Coast), Harry Dean, 28 yrs. Funeral will leave the above address for Crag Cemetery, Windhill, on Saturday, the 8th inst., at 2.45 prompt. Friends please accept this the only intimation.
In his monthly letter to his parishioners in Baildon, the Rev A E Sidebotham, writing from No 3 General Hospital, Rouen, said: ‘There are several Baildon boys attached to this hospital whom it was a real joy to meet, viz., L Cpl Handel Nunn (formerly of Baildon Station), Pte Crossland (now of Saltaire who used to be in the choir in Mr Margett’s time), and Pte Dean from Charlestown. No leave ‘As I was returning home from a funeral and striding along the main road, I suddenly came across Sgt Major R Oddy. We had a long chat and subsequently spent an evening together. ‘It was a great delight to see them all and to find them looking so fit and well in spite of the fact that some of them have had no leave for over twelve months. ‘I am beginning to realise now something of the unspeakable horrors of this war. Whenever I go to Saint Sever Cemetery, some little distance from here, as I have to go so very often, it is one of the
saddest sights to see the serried rows and rows of little wooden crosses standing out sharp and terrible above the ground. ‘These mark the last resting places of our brave and gallant dead. But they
also speak with an eloquence more moving than words, and cry out to us to press on in the fight of right and never lay down our arms until the cause for which they fought and died has proved triumphant.’
Willie Fielden, a former scholar at Eccleshill Congregational Sunday School, was now living in Hamilton, Ontario and wrote home to tell how Canada was recruiting soldiers for the war. ‘Our place is now getting to look like a fortified town for, go where you will, you are confronted by soldiers. ‘We have some fine regiments here and at our big parade held last Saturday, over 8,000 soldiers took part. ‘They have very good methods here of obtaining recruits, for the recruiting meetings are held at the theatres and boxing bouts, wrestling matches, weight lifting, high jumping and other kinds of athletics which are likely to attract the men are all the go, and nothing is charged for admission. ‘These sports are conducted by the soldiers and the military bands are also in attendance. By this attractive means many recruits have joined the colours. Of course it is inevitable that the ladies should try their persuasive powers to swell the number of khaki-clad warriors and they have not done badly. ‘Though many have gone and a great number are now in training, there seems to be as many in civilian dress as ever, for great numbers are engaged in manufacturing munitions of war.’
Free admission to sporting events used to attract army recruits in Canada
Meeting old friends while far from home
Sgt J Bootham (below) of 19 Beatrice Street, Saltaire Road, Shipley, who was in a war hospital near Redcar suffering from a shot wound in the thigh, shared part of his diary with readers of the newspaper. He wrote that Christmas some of the Bedfordshire Regt came out of the trenches. ‘They tell us they had a 24 hours armistice with the Germans on Christmas Day and exchanged badges and buttons and cigarettes and smoked together and the largest part of them could speak English. ‘The Royal Scots pipers gave them a few selections on the pipes and the Germans thoroughly enjoyed the music and clapped their hands and wanted some more. ‘The Germans said they had a message from “Kaiser Bill” to say they had beaten the Russians and they had only to beat the English and the war was over. They were surprised, however, when told how they were being beaten themselves and when an officer gave them a few English papers that put the “tin hat” on it. ‘They also said they were tired of the war and they did not want to fight but they were compelled to do so. Just before the 24 hours were up, they shook hands with our fellows and wished them good luck and goodbye.’
Pipers play as foes share Christmas truce
Mrs Hudson of 14 Park Road, Thackley, had four men at the war. One of her sons, Allan who was in the RAMC, was described as ‘the first lad to leave Thackley’ having signed up two days after war was declared. He had been in France for eight months. Her other son, Oliver, had joined RAMC more recently and was training in London. The others were former lodgers: Albert Barnard had lived with the Hudsons before emigrating to Canada and was now with the expeditionary force in the trenches; George Everitt had recently enlisted and was training on Salisbury Plain.
Sons and lodgers