Friday 25 February 1916
Former Saltaire CC stalwart still not out
‘The numerous friends of Mr Arthur Gregory of Lytham (above), formerly secretary of the Saltaire Cricket Club, will be pleased to hear that he is progressing surely if slowly. ‘Arthur has had a hard time of it and once it was feared that he would be unable to pull through. ‘That he may soon be restored to health and strength is the sincere wish of all who know him. ‘In a letter which we have received from him, Mr Gregory, who is Assistant Traffic Manager for the West Lancashire District General Post Office, says that after his “rest” he hopes to be able to continue his “innings” and not to be “out” for many years to come.’
Volunteer Force face double challenge
A meeting in Leeds revealed that the Volunteer Force of men who were too old, unfit or otherwise unable to serve in the regular forces but were training for home defence, was now 11,184 strong in the West Riding. They were split into 20 battalions and while a push to improve equipment meant that nearly 8,000 were now in possession of uniforms, it was revealed that there were ‘only 742 rifles of various sizes and calibres, between them.’ The Shipley Corps had just attended a church parade at St Peter’s where the vicar, the Rev P Beresford Hope, praised their dedication. Patriotic conscience ‘We know that every man cannot leave home to join the colours,’ he said. ‘Age, health or business, or war industries might prevent his obeying the dictates of a patriotic conscience and joining the Army or the Navy. ‘But even such might often be able to follow the excellent example of our volunteers and prepare themselves, as they are doing, for home defence in cases of emergency.
‘For many months past they have been doing good work in that respect by making themselves efficient in Drill Hall, on route marches and at rifle ranges. ‘I wish the Shipley Company every success and bid them be strong and of good courage and to persevere in their patriotic effort. ‘Some of the younger members of the company later on might even be called upon for active service and the training they are now undergoing will be of the greatest benefit to them.’ Some of the men were getting a little restless that having trained hard, their readiness was not being put to good use. The writer of Shipley Volunteers’ weekly notes echoed this thought while also pointing out that being a member of the battalion needed even greater commitment. ‘There is good reason to believe that at last we are to be taken under the wing of the Military Authority and given some definite work to do,’ he wrote.
‘When the time comes and it may be very soon, to send in names for specific duties, we have no doubt but the Shipley Corps will give a good account of itself. Long marches ‘The men who have attended week-in and week-out, who have by constant practice made themselves proficient in shooting and who have undertaken long marches both by night and by day, in all sorts of weather, are not going to flinch when they are put to the test. ‘But too much must not be expected. The present shortage of labour, which will become increasingly more acute as fresh groups are called up, is continually making more demands on the time and energies of those who remain and there will be many who on that account cannot pledge themselves in advance to give even one day per week to military duties. ‘Taking this into account, we feel sure there will be an adequate response when the call is made.’
Mr and Mrs Rhodes Watson, of 8 Cross Banks, Shipley, celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. The couple were married on 18 February 1866 in Shipley Parish Church. Mr Watson, who was born in Wakefield Road, East Bowling, was in his seventieth year and still working for wool merchants J Whittingham & Sons in Canal Road, Bradford. His wife, Elizabeth, nee Blackburn, was 73 and had been born in Bowling Back Lane. She had started work aged eight, ‘at a weekly wage of 1s 6d.’ Salts in Bradford Later, she and her brother worked for Titus Salt in Union Street Bradford, before the firm moved to Saltaire. ‘On the occasion of the opening of the latter she and her brother came to the ceremony in connection with which a concert was held the same night at St George’s Hall, Bradford. ‘Along with Lady Byles and Mrs Alfred Illingworth, Mrs Watson was amongst those who took part in the formation of the Bradford Women’s Liberal Association and she has also been a prominent worker at the Essex Street Congregational Church. ‘At present she attends the Bradford Road Congregational Church, Shipley.’ The couple had four children, two daughters surviving. ‘One is Mrs Smith, wife of Mr Albert Smith, superintendent at the Shipley Public Baths. There are also five grandchildren.’ Their other daughter and their son-in-law, John Lumley, lived with them at Cross Banks.
Golden wedding celebrations
Frank Ripley’s Concert Party from Idle performed a concert of wounded soldiers at Woodland’s Convalescent Home. It was the 48th such concert organised by Mr Ernest Nicholls of Rawdon. The singers were accompanied by Mr Lawrence Nutton who in his own inimitable style kept the audience convulsed with merriment with his elocutionary and musical items. His account of Idle and the famous railway station with its “97 steps” evidently impressed the soldiers so much that one of them was discovered early next morning coming towards Idle on a voyage of discovery for himself. Upward of 400 cigarettes, chocolates, matches etc., were distributed to the men by a few friends who accompanied the party.
Intrigued wounded soldier keen to find Idle’s 97 steps
Shipley-made boat is Admiralty’s star
In 1908, Mr G E Ramsay of Junction Docks, Shipley, built a motor boat, “Dawn” to the order and specification of Mr A H Illingworth of Windermere and formerly of Ben Rhydding. On the outbreak of war, Mr Illingworth offered to lend the boat and also to give his services to the Admiralty and these were accepted. ‘In a letter received this week by Mr Ramsay, it is stated that the “Dawn” is the fastest small motor- boat in the service of the Admiralty at Portsmouth and that she is behaving exceedingly well.’
Sight Preserving Spectacles and Eye-Glasses, Framed and Frameless may be obtained from Forshaw and Daughter at 195, Westgate and 20, Otley Road, Bradford. Forshaw and Daughter’s Lowest Prices for Spectacles is 3s 6d, their Highest Price 35s. Other prices are 6s 6d, 10s 6d, 15s 6d, 21s and 30s. The Eyes are Examined Carefully and the Sight Tested Free of Charge, whether you pay 3s 6d or 35s. Please notice the alteration in closing on the Half Holiday. Forshaw and Daughter close every Wednesday afternoon at both 20, Otley Road and 195, Westgate, each establishment being open all Saturday.
‘A double funeral took place at the Windhill Cemetery on Monday afternoon when the remains were interred of Mr Ezra Ward and of his sister, Miss Mary Ward, of Wellcroft, Wrose Hill. ‘The latter died on Wednesday of last week and her brother, who was 57 years of age, passed away the following day. ‘Mr Ward was an enthusiastic member of the Shipley Company, 3rd Battalion, West Riding Volunteers and his death is greatly regretted by the members of the Company. He was a trustee of the Wrose Hill Sunday School. ‘Miss Ward was connected with the Parish Church and was some years ago a Sunday School teacher. ‘A number of the Shipley Volunteers in uniform attended the funeral. Prior to the interments, a service was held at the Parish Church. The Rev H A Moreton (curate) was the officiating clergyman.’
Wrose brother and sister die within 24 hours of each other
Men charged with assault on police
A Shipley labourer and time-served soldier, and a private absent from his regiment were in court in Bradford charged with assaulting a policeman. The police described how constables Clarke and Brown had gone to 5 Cross Church Street, Windhill to serve a military warrant on Pte James Frear, who was absent without leave from the 3rd West Riding Regiment. The door was opened by James Scott who denied Frear was in the house. A hob-nailed boot was thrown, the police believed by Scott, which hit Clarke and knocked out a tooth. Frear then appeared to assist his friend and a stool was thrown which hit Brown. In giving evidence Scott said he was a reservist at the outbreak of war and went to France with the first Expeditionary Force. He was in the retreat from Mons afterwards being invalided home because of rheumatism. After two months in this country he returned to the Front and was later discharged, described as of good character. He still suffered from rheumatism and was not fit for active service.
The court heard that while Scott may have had a good military reference, locally he had 19 convictions on his record since 1901. He pleaded not guilty and claimed that he had not thrown anything and had himself been dazed after being hit by a flying object. His defence claimed as it had been dark, the police could not be certain he had thrown the boot. Frear pleaded guilty. He said: ‘I have been at the Dardanelles where I was wounded on 22nd October. I would rather you sent me back to the firing line, Sir, than to gaol.’ Sir James Roberts, chairman of the magistrates, responded: ‘I have good hopes that you will reform and make an excellent soldier,’ adding: ‘Well, having regard to your words and the fact that you have been wounded, you will be imprisoned until the rising of the court and afterwards be handed over to a military escort.’ Scott, however, was found guilty and committed to prison for six months with hard labour. His wife fainted and had to be assisted out of the court.
Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Shipley Times & Express base page Home Page Home Page Home Page Read more about 25 February 1916 Read more about 25 February 1916 Read more about 25 February 1916